If you’re reading this you’re probably tinkering with the idea of starting your own blog and wonder how do I start a blog? I’ve been in your shoes. I spent many years thinking about starting a blog, trying to figure out the perfect blog idea and the perfect time to launch. I want you to know that the perfect time is now. Having a blog is like having your own piece of land; only it’s in the digital world and way easier to obtain. This post will guide you on how to start a blog in 2021.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links in which I earn a commission if you purchase using my links, at no cost to you. Click here for details.
A blog is nothing more than a website where content is consistently published. Typically this is in a form of words but blogs can feature videos and graphics. Most blogs, like this one, serve as a place to share ideas and information while connecting with others. If done correctly and authentically, it can also serve as an income generating business that you can take anywhere. I’ll discuss different ways you can make money from your blog later in the post. Getting your blog set up does not take long at all. In fact you can get a blog ready to be published online in about 30 minutes and I will tell you how.
How To Start A Blog In 7 Easy Steps
- Find Your Passion. Decide what you want to write about.
- Pick A Name. Choose a descriptive name for your blog
- Buy Domain and Get Hosting. Get your blog online.
- Customize your blog. Determine how you want your blog to look and feel.
- Create your first post. Share your ideas and experiences with the world. This is the best part about blogging!
- Promote your blog. Get to sharing and drive traffic to your blog.
- Make money blogging. Learn about the different ways you can monetize your blog.
Step 1: Find Your Passion
This can be one of the most time consuming aspects of starting a blog. At least it was for me. There was many things I had interest in but having a passion for them was a different entity. It took my several years of experience, learning and growth to realize that making money online can be considered a passion. I could talk about different methods of living the “laptop lifestyle” all day, everyday. E-commerce, writing, SEO, ect. I was into it all. I was so entrenched in the digitalprenuer lifestyle that I became, in fact, a digital marketer. It was the best title to describe my personal experiences and knowledge and guess what? I finally had a passion to write about! You too can find your passion. Maybe you already know what it is. Healthy living, finances and budgeting, motherhood; these are just a pinch of the many topics I come across from different blogs. The point is, you want to find something you can write about consistently. It is your passion that will drive you to succeed at blogging.
Step 2: Pick A Name
If you have a name picked out you can click here to purchase your domain and start a blog.
When starting any blog choosing a name that aligns with your brand is important. My blog is a personal lifestyle and educational blog so I wanted my name to be broad as I talk about both digital marketing and also my daily life. The Melanated Mommi fit me perfectly and it is a name that I can brand and stand behind. If I was going to solely speak on marketing and SEO I may have chosen a name that includes those words. For example, thequeenofmarketing.com. Some bloggers choose to use their legal names like Deliciously Ella. Others choose to correspond their names with the their blog’s content such as The Lazy Baker. Ultimately it depends on you. Write down and brainstorm some ideas then use the handy tool below to do a quick domain name search.
Contact me if you are having a hard time deciding on a name. Two heads are better than one and I would love to help.
If you find that the name you wanted is already taken there are a few things you can do:
- Try a different domain extension. If the .com version is already registered you may still be able to get the .net or .org version of the name for example.
- Add small words & try different variations. Words like “a”, “my”, or “the”. For example, this site is called TheMelanatedMommi instead of MelanatedMommi.com or TheMelanatedMommy.com.
- Add dashes between words. For example big-eats.com
Step 3: Buy Domain & Get Hosting
Once you decided on a name and purchased the domain it is time to set up hosting. One thing I like about Bluehost is that it is an all in one tool to get your domain, hosting and WordPress. The one click install of WordPress gets you up and running in a matter of minutes. The best part is that you get your .com domain for free for the first 12 months and a free SSL certificate when you buy at least one years worth of hosting using my link. I would recommend getting the 36 month plan as it’s cheaper in the long run and you won’t have to worry about renewal for awhile. However, if you just wanting to get your feet wet with blogging before making a longer commitment then feel free to get the 12 month plan. Each plan also comes with 24/7 support and a 30 day money back guarantee if you don’t like it for any reason. The basic plan is really all you need to start and it’s only $3.95 per month if you get the 36 month option. 12 months is currently $5.95 per month. The full year is due at the time of purchase.
How To Set Up BlueHost
A) Click on any of the links I provided and click on get started
B) Choose your plan.
C) Type in your domain name in the left side box. If you have one from another service, say Go Daddy, you will use the right box.
You can also skip this step if you are not yet ready to register a domain name. You will still receive your domain for free.
D) Fill out registration details
E) Choose your package options and purchase.
You may want to include domain privacy in your package as it can prevent spam calls and emails. Otherwise the information you provide while registering domain (name, email) becomes public information.
F) Install WordPress with 1 click install.
If you made it this far don’t quit now. You are almost ready to post on your money making blog! These next steps have been made fairly easy.
After purchasing and setting up your domain and hosting navigate to the control panel and click on My Sites. From there, click on Create Site and then WordPress. The installer will install WordPress in a few short minutes. You will then login to WordPress.
Step 4: Customize Your Blog
There are thousands of themes available to access through your WordPress dashboard, both free and paid. Your WordPress will come pre-installed with a few options but if you don’t like them navigate over to the Appearance tab. Click Themes, Add New and then search for a theme you like. Once you have made a decision click on Install to install the theme then click Activate. You can then customize it to your liking by clicking on Customize under the Appearance tab.
Step 5: Create Your First Post
So you got your site set up and are finally ready to publish your first piece of content. Thankfully WordPress makes this simple.
Navigate to Post from the dashboard menu.
Click Add New
Now you’re ready to start typing up your first piece of content. Add pictures, videos, quotes and anything else you want in your post. Make sure to use good blogging techniques and write quality content. Good content is one of the keys to making money with your blog.
Step 6: Promote Your Blog
I shared my blog from very first post across my social channels. Even with being a new blog I had eyes on my content. This is imperative for any blogger, new or old. Share your content every time you post. You can even re-share when the time comes for it or plug your links whenever possible. Learn the ins and outs of different social channels so you can maximize your traffic. If you need some ideas, read my posts Using Pinterest for Business and What Is Quora and How Can It Help Your Business.
Step 7: Make Money Blogging
- Affiliate Marketing is one of the top ways to make money blogging. It is a commission based structure where you earn money by selling products or services to your readers. You can include links and graphics that your affiliate program provides in your content and when readers make a purchase through that link you earn money. I recommend you only include affiliate offers of services/products you have used or use and to not include offers in all of your post. You want your content to be natural and authentic and not full of affiliate links.
- Google Adsense is perfect for bloggers who are interested in selling ad space without having to deal with multiple advertisers individually. Google Adsense can intelligently place ads throughout your site and content that will resonate with your audience. You will earn by the amount of views and clicks on those ads.
- Selling your own products and services will increase your income as your blog grows. Many bloggers do this by selling courses, e-books, software and merchandise.
- Memberships are an income generating option if you have exclusive content. I’ve seen this done many times on pop culture blogs where paid members received access to exclusive gossip not yet on other platforms or accessible to non paying members.